Thursday 3 May 2012

But we do judge a book by its cover

Photo A via: lhspodcast.info
I know there is a saying which states: “never judge a book by its cover.” However if we meet a stranger, the first thing that we can assess them by, i.e our first impression, is their appearance just like how a product's packaging affects our perception of it.
Photo B via: sikworld.com


For example, look at photo A: What do you think of this person? Would you lend him a million bucks? And no, I'm not talking about Zimbabwean Dollars. Does he look like he drives around in Ferraris?  




Looking at this fine gentleman in photo B. Do you think you can trust him with your life? Maybe he has a heart of gold?  


Photo C via: roseborn.com  


Then what about this person in photo C?  What impressions do you get from him? Would you lend him money? It’s more likely you are going to borrow money from him.

So, my point is that appearances do count. I have said this countless times now and I’m sure you’re tired of reading this, but from my personal experiences, I can’t stress its importance enough. Whether it is for doing business, work, meeting new friends or dating, appearances count a lot. Thus, shouldn’t we try to be presentable most of the time?  Naturally I am not saying image is everything,  in fact our values and principles are the most important, however I have been really surprised by how many doors have opened for me, literally and figuratively ever since I started to care about how I dress.  

So for the next couple of articles, I want to discuss buying suits, the epitome of men’s formal wear. I would really appreciate it if you can give me any feedback and comments as well as what issues or topics you think are worth discussing.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jonny!

    Would be nice to read about what the current trends/fashions are in suits as well as which styles are considered classic or "timeless". Also colours - is it the case that one can have a suit in any colour as long as it's black?

    -Avi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Avi

      Yeah, that's what I'll be discussing in the next couple of articles. And no, when it comes to colours, it's actually better to have suits other than black :p

      Delete